Gourmet vs. gourmand. Both are true food lovers. A gourmet is someone who appreciates the flavors and beauty of great food. He tends to have a more highly trained ability to taste, identify flavors, notice uniqueness, and seek out quality food to savor. A gourmand, on the other hand, is all about the quantity. Both love to eat, but the gourmand wants LOTS and LOTS while the gourmet wants QUALITY.
We can learn a lot about mindful eating from the gourmet. She knows how to really be aware and truly enjoy and appreciate the food she eats.
Try increasing your mindful eating by being a gourmet this week:
- Sit down when you choose to eat this week---you're worth it!
- Notice the colors of your food. Does it make you feel good just to look at it, or not so much?
- Smell your food. What fragrances do you detect? What does it remind you of?
- Take a bite and take note of the temperature. Is it cold or hot? Warm or cool?
- Texture. Is it creamy, crystalline, chunky, rough... Describe what it feels like in your mouth.
- Chew and taste. Sweet, sour, spicy, bitter...what does it actually taste like?
- Critique. Do you like it? Does it make your mouth happy, your body happy? How would you rank it on a scale of 1 - 5 stars? Be that restaurant critic!