Super Bowl Sunday! Whether you are a football fan or not, the Super Bowl brings on a great reason to get together and do some serious munching. Typical Super Bowl party fare around the TV includes incredibly high fat and high calorie foods: chips & sour cream dips, sliders, nachos, fiesta dips, and lots of beer. One high-fat, stuff yourself until you hurt party won't trash your long term goal toward a healthier you, but it certainly doesn't help, either. Let's see if we can come up with some healthier YOU party food options...
Tortilla chips. Tortilla chips are usually made from ground whole corn, which is a good thing. Choose a brand with less salt added. South-of-the-Border chips are great, they're my husband's favorite. Baked are really quite good, but if you think your fans will need regular chips, too, provide both. You could even mix a bag of both in every bowl you serve which creates a fun variety in each bowl.
- Heat oven to 375.
- Cut fat-free corn tortillas into chip size wedges.
- Spray chips with olive oil cooking spray, or lightly brush with canola or olive oil.
- Bake until lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Flip over.
- Bake another 3-5 minutes.
- Sprinkle lightly with salt, if desired, or try adding a shake or two of cumin and chili powder.
- Spread in layers on large plate or platter:
- 2 cans fat-free refried beans (try the black bean, yum!)
- Blend 8 oz. container of light sour cream together, 8 oz of Greek yogurt, and 1/2 pkg. taco seasoning mix (use more if you'd like, but it's higher in sodium.) Spread on top of beans.
- 3 cups shredded lettuce (darker leaves = healthier)
- 1-2 cans green chilies, drained
- 1 cup shredded light cheddar cheese
- 1/2 avocado, diced and tossed with 1 tsp. lime juice
- 1 small can sliced black olives, drained
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- Cube chunks of pineapple, strawberries, grapes, kiwi, or other firm fruit, and skewer on toothpicks. Fun and very popular!
Veggies and Dip
- Cherry and grape tomatoes
- Celery sticks
- Baby carrots
- Broccoli and cauliflower
Make your own:
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 can fat-free refried beans
- sprinkle with light shredded cheddar cheese
- heat until hot
- 1 cup Salsa
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- 1/2 cup Greek style low fat plain yogurt